Another new year approaches and so to will the new year resolutions for 2017. The vast majority of these goals never come to fruition and the majority of times this is because people set goals that seem to big. Notice how I said seem to big, I am a big advocate of setting goals especially big ones and I would never suppress anyone who would want to set big goals, but making them realistic and achievable is something people fail to do.
Lets say next year you would like to lose 100lbs in weight, now that is a big goal and one that can seem very daunting to look at or focus on. Is the goal achievable? Of course it is but it becomes more believable if we break that down into smaller chunks for example..
100lbs divided by 12 = 8lbs per month
8lb divided by 4 = 2lbs per week
All of a sudden 100lbs looks like a very realistic goal and something that can be achieved and does not seem as daunting. When you break big goals down they will become easier to achieve so be sure to break your bigger targets into smaller chunks. Here is 5 tips for better goal setting.
- Write your goals down, you have a 80% better chance of achieving them when they have been written down.
- Keep them where you can se them daily, on your fridge door, screensaver on your phone or laptop etc.
- Break those big goals down into smaller pieces e.g.. 1 year goal, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month 1 week. Smaller goals more often towards your bigger goal!
- Review your goals on a regular basis, life will throw curve balls at you and its easy to get side tracked so review your goals weekly and monthly to stay on track.
- Do not give up!! We all get set backs in life but they make us grow stronger and wiser, never give up on something you know can make a massive difference to your life.